Verity Smith and Matt Smith both powered to victory in the CC Breckland 15-mile time trial in Norfolk on Saturday afternoon.
Verity Smith (Loose Cannon’s Conditioning) clocked 35-17 to win the women’s prize, while Matt Smith (Drag2zero) was fastest man by just one second with his impressive time of 28-48.
Matt Smith’s time was narrowly ahead of Jason Bouttell (Team Vision Racing) by just one second, while Mark Richards (DAP CC) was 58 seconds further back in third place.
Meanwhile, behind Verity on the women’s virtual podium was Godric CC rider Jo Fisk with 37-56, while third spot in the women’s category went to Lisa Hall (Ride Harder) with 40-03.
The tandem category was won by multiple national record holders Ian Greenstreet and Rachael Elliott (AeroCoach) whose time of 28-29 gave them a comfortable victory ahead of Catherine and Andrew Hutchison (Lowestoft Wheelers).
The popular B15/1 course takes riders from a start point to the west of Attleborough and along the A11 towards Wymondham. After turning just before the rail crossing, riders head back down to the finish point just before the start.
For 42-year-old Newmarket-based veteran Matt Smith this was his third victory of the season following wins in the Essex Roads CC 25 and Orwell Velo 20 last month, while he will be targeting success in the Hemel Hempstead CC in a fortnight as well as the National 25-Mile Championship at the end of September and the National Closed Circuit Championships and National Circuit Championships in October.
Smith last rode the B15/1 course two years ago in the District 15-Mile Championships staged by CC Breckland, and on that occasion he clocked 28-27 and won by more than a minute.
For Verity Smith this was her first win of the season after finish third fastest female in both her other open time trials of 2020 so far – the Diss and District CC 25 and Orwell Velo 20, both last month.
The last time she rode the B15/1 in an open event was three years ago, when she won the District Championships with a time of 34-10, more than a minute quicker than her winning performance today.
The 44-year-old veteran from Ipswich was also due to be in action on Sunday in the Stowmarket & Dist CC 10, while she also entered the Norwich ABC 10 next Saturday and the DAP CC 10 in two weeks.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Matt Smith Drag2zero 28.48
2. Jason Bouttell Team Vision Racing 28.49
3. Mark Richards DAP CC 29.47
4. Lloyd Chapman Loose Cannons Conditioning 29.57
5. Matt O'Brien Loose Cannons Conditioning 30.15
6. Jordan Black Loose Cannons Conditioning 30.42
7. Paul Jay Drag2zero 30.49
8. Nick Partridge V C Baracchi 31.03
9. Keith Dorling Team Bottrill 31.30
10. Ryan Gray Tri Harder 31.33 (C5 para)
1. Verity Smith Loose Cannons conditioning 35.17
2. Jo Fisk Godric CC 37.56
3. Lisa Hall Ride Harder 40.03
1. Rachael Elliott/Ian Greenstreet Aerocoach 28.29
2. Catherine/Andrew Hutchison Lowestoft Wheelers 34.26