In an all too familiar field, Thanet RC rider Nic Fennell powered to victory in the VTTA 25-mile time trial near Brenzett, Kent.
Fennell set off 40th out of 60 riders in a tough field which included his younger brother Chris, but this time the limelight was on Nic as he got back to winning ways after last week’s ‘silver’ medal.
Nic has had to play second fiddle to his brother for much of the year but seized the most of an opportunity with his brother unable to finish. Nic posted a 52-02 to create a good margin of victory, beating second-placed Neil Lauder by 58 seconds.
Lauder (PMR @ Toachim House) last raced an open event in August where he had an equally good finish in second at the Catford CC hosted 25 – but the experienced rider will be looking to rekindle his winning ways with his last coming back in June.
The battle for second spot was run relatively closely with Lauder pipping another Kent-based rider with a time of 53-00.
Andrew Meilak (VeloRefined.com) rounded off the podium much to the disappointment of Sebastien Dickson (Cambridge University CC) as Meilak covered the distance in 53-25 with Dickson only 24 seconds further afield.
Unfortunately, the event had no female starters leading to the prize giving ceremony being shorter than usual.
The event was run on the Q25/12 course which starts just outside the coastal town of New Romney.
The ride remains at sea level for much of the ride before a sharp incline around nine miles in at Hamstreet challenges riders – a U-turn in Park Farm sends riders back down the A2070 where the previous incline turns to a sharp decline allowing fast speeds to be reached before the finish.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Jack Cudworth.
1. Nic Fennell (Thanet RC) 52.02
2. Neil Lauder (PMR @ Toachim House) 53.00
3. Andrew Meilak (VeloRefined.com) 53.25
4. Sebastien Dickson (Cambridge University CC) 53.49
5. Nick Wilson (Rye & District Wheelers) 54.42
6. James Ashburnham (Rye & District Wheelers) 55.10
7. Antony Bee (Wigmore CC) 55.29
8. Mark Hill (VeloRefined.com) 55.31
9. Mark Baker (Abellio – SFA Racing Team) 55.44
10. Adrian Hawkins (Thanet RC) 56.01
Veteran: Andrew Meilak