Hebe Picking was fastest female in her first-ever 25-mile time trial while David Parkin was fastest male at the Lancashire Road Club event near Winmarleigh on Sunday morning.
Racescene Female Development Academy rider Picking clocked 1-07-47 to finish ahead of Jan Scotchford (North Lancashire Road Club) in 1-09-52, while third place was sealed by Theresa Taylor of Springfield Financial Racing Team in a time of 1-10-46.
Parkin, riding for Chorley Cycling Club, won the men’s event in 55-45, comfortably ahead of Richard Smith (Army Cycling) who managed 58-01, while Wigan Wheelers’ Matt Morris was edged into third in 58-26.
Age was no barrier in this time trial, with 17-year-old Picking’s exploits matched by those of 89-year-old Alex Munro who completed the course in 1-31-13 to end 22nd from the field of 23 finishers.
This event, run on the L2521A course, sees riders complete a loop which starts just north east of Cattery then proceeds to Winmarleigh, then along the B5272 to Cockerham, heading along to Stakepool, left into Garstang Road then continuing to Cogie Hill, turning left to complete the first circuit before completing it a second time, then passing the start area and finishing on Church Lane.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by James Ayles.
1. David Parkin (Chorley Cycling Club) 55.45
2. Richard Smith (Army Cycling) 58.01
3. Matt Morris (Wigan Wheelers CC) 58.26
4. Dan Taylor (Coveryourcar.co.uk RT) 59.30
5. Paul Shallicker (Coveryourcar.co.uk RT) 1:00.10
6. Tom Kelsall (Garstang Cycling Club) 1:00.53
1. Hebe Picking (Racescene Female Development Academy) 1:07.47
2. Jan Scotchford (North Lancashire Road Club) 1:09.52
3. Theresa Taylor (Springfield Financial Racing Team) 1:10.46
4. Helen Thomas (Rossendale RC) 1:25.14