David Halliday and Rosie Simmons earned victory as fastest male and fastest female respectively at the Victoria 10.2-mile time trial near Saffron Walden on Saturday morning.
Team Bottrill’s Halliday sealed a dominant win in 2-27, 35 seconds ahead of runner-up Alfie Salmon, of Lee Valley Youth CC, who lcocked 22-02 while Halliday’s clubmate Keith Dorling took the runners-up spot in 22-33.
All of the winners donated their prize money to Haven House Children's Hospice, raising £165 for the charity.
In the women’s event, South University Road Cycling Club’s Simmons set a time of 26-10, beating Easterly Road Club’s Julia Freeman who finished in 26-41, while third place was taken in a time of 29-02 by West Suffolk Wheelers’ Megan Free.
The 2up team time trial, held on the same course, was won by pre-race favourites, Bedfordshire Road RT pair Matt Donovan and Jason MacRae, in 22-03.
Halliday secured his second victory of the season and first since triumphing at the Southend Wheelers 50-mile time trial on July 3, having finished 14 races so far this year.
The route, on course E1/10A, starts just north of the Fighting Cocks pub, proceeding north through Littlebury and Great Chesterford, turning at the junction of B1383/A1301, retracing along the B1383 through Great Chesterford and then Littlebury to the finish 50 yards short of the start point.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by James Ayles.
1. David Halliday (Team Bottrill) 21.27
2. Alfie Salmon (Lee Valley Youth CC) 22.02
3. Keith Dorling (Team Bottrill) 22.33
4. Matthew Saunders (Team Vision Racing – Silverhook) 22.52
5. Sean O’Sullivan (Hart Performance Coaching) 23.00
6. Alex Warburton (Velo Schils Interbike RT) 23.07
1. Rosie Simmons (Southampton Univ Road CC) 26.10
2. Julia Freeman (Easterley Road Club) 26.41
3. Megan Free (West Suffolk Wheelers) 29.02
4. Sue Rogers (Crest CC) 30.49
5. Marion Denby (West Suffolk Wheelers) 31.19
1. Matt Donovan Jason MacRae (Bedfordshire Road RT) 22.03