Nicole Coates and reigning National champion Andrew Feather matched and broke course records respectively in Dursley Road Club’s first hill-climb event of the season in Uley on Saturday morning.
Feather (ChampionSystem UK) exhibited his national champion credentials with a 12-second victory in his first open event since his winning the title.
The 34-year-old started last, needing a time of 4-37 to beat. He posted a time of 4-25 to set a new course record, breaking the previous one that he set himself.
Feather has now won seven consecutive events on record, all of which are hill-climbs.
Morgan Curle (Rogue Racing) was second to the national champion with the time of 4-37.
Curle turned 19 years old the day after – on Sunday – and it will have been a good birthday with the espoir securing his best solo finish in open-aged events on record.
Since finishing 18th in last season’s national hill-climb championship, Josh Coyne (BPM Coaching) has had a solid year over various distances, taking six victories so far.
Coyne finished with a time of 4-41 but wasn’t alone in his third place, and shared the spot with Bristol Road Club’s Phil Stonelake.
Stonelake also snatched the veteran’s prize from Glyndwr Griffiths (73 Degrees Bicycles) who finished only a place behind overall in fifth.
Women’s winner Nicole Coates (Performance Cycles CC) also wrote her name into the current record books after crossing the line in a women’s course record time.
Unfortunately for Coates, she fell agonisingly short of holding that record alone after equalling the previous best time of 6-10.
The 20-year-old topped the timesheets seven seconds ahead of Jess Railton (Bristol South CC) in second, crossing the line in 6-17 with Becky Dodds (Rogue Racing) finishing third in 6-32.
In other categories, Jacob Hardy (Cheltenham & County CC) finished as fastest junior with a time of 4-53 while Rogue Racing finished as fastest team with a combined time of 14-49 ahead of Bristol South CC.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Jack Cudworth.
1. Andrew Feather (ChampionSystem UK) 4.25
2. Morgan Curle (Rogue Racing) 4.37
=3. Josh Coyne (BPM Coaching) 4.41
=3. Phil Stonelake (Bristol Road Club) 4.41
5. Glyndwr Griffiths (73 Degrees Bicycles) 4.49
6. Jacob Hardy (Cheltenham & County CC) 4.53
7. Robert Borek (Bristol South CC) 4.55
8. Jacques Coates (Cycle Team OnForm) 4.56
9. Joe Norledge (Bristol South CC) 5.00
10. Travis Walker (Rogue Racing) 5.02
1. Nicole Coates (Performance Cycles CC) 6.10
2. Jess Railton (Bristol South CC) 6.17
3. Becky Dodds (Rogue Racing) 6.32
Veteran: Phil Stonelake
Junior: Jacob Hardy
Team: Rogue Racing 14.49