Jonathan Gates and Megan Dickerson both set new course records in the Salt and Sham CC 10-mile time trial in Gloucestershire on Saturday.
Gates (Royal Air Force CA) and Dickerson (Bristol South CC) made the most of the “cracking weather and a super-fast day” as described by event organiser Rob Hall as the day saw three new provisional course records set.
Gates, the 42-year-old Oxfordshire resident, was last rider of the day out with his sights set on a first open victory since April 2018 on his return to pastures of old.
A time of 20-32 saw the veteran take victory by more than 20 seconds ahead of Nick Livermore, but the time would also be enough to fell David Janes’ old course record by eight seconds.
The women’s category kicked the record-setting day off as Lauren Creamer (Brotherton Cycles) crossed the line in 23-08 to set a new women’s course record – a record that stood for around six minutes.
Megan Dickerson, fresh from victory in the Frome & District 10 last week, powered to a second straight win of the season, shaving 15 seconds off the time of Creamer and setting the second of three course records, finishing with a time of 22-53.
Dickerson will no doubt be looking at maintaining her early season form into two scheduled events next weekend in the Dursley RC 10 and Chippenham & District Wheelers 22.
Elsewhere, last year’s winner Josh Griffiths (Bikestrong KTM) had to settle for third in the men’s event whilst Elisabeth Pressage (Velo Club Venta) was third in the women’s category.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Jack Cudworth.
1. Jonathan Gates (Royal Air Force Cycling Association) 20:32
2. Nick Livermore (Bristol South CC) 20:54
3. Josh Griffiths (Bikestrong KTM) 21:22
4. Tim May (PDQ Cycle Coaching) 21:31
5. Jamie Atkins (72 Degrees Bicycles) 21:34
6. Robert Borek (Bristol South CC) 22:04
7. James Pittard (University of Bristol Cycling Club) 22:12
8. Adam Whittaker (Salt and Sham Cycle Club) 22:25
9. Euan Taylor (Salt and Sham Cycle Club) 22:43
10. Andrew Legge (Bristol South CC) 22:50
1. Megan Dickerson (Bristol South CC) 22:53
2. Lauren Creamer (Brotherton Cycles) 23:08
3. Elisabeth Pressage (Velo Club Venta) 25:10