If you have a map of this course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Keith Ainsworth (Sheffrec CC) and Sue Cheetham (North Lancashire RC) were crowned VTTA National 50-Mile Champions after racing to victory on the A50/2 near Newark, Nottinghamshire, on Sunday morning.
61-year-old Ainsworth beat his age standard by 35.17 to win by just over a minute from multiple national CTT title holder Matt Bottrill, the 43-year-old Team Bottrill rider who was third overall and had an age standard of 34.15.
And 57-year-old Cheetham’s time of 2-14-23 gave her a plus of 20.17, enough for victory by more than five minutes from Joanna Cebrat (Bury Clarion).
Meanwhile, the actual fastest riders turned in impressive performances, with World Championship hopeful John Archibald (Ribble Weldtite Pro Cycling) being fastest on the day with a 1-34-11, the second best time ever recorded behind competition record holder Marcin Bialoblocki.
And Archibald’s partner Emily Meakin (The Independent Pedaler) was fastest female with 1-48-25, good enough for 13th overall in the whole event and giving being the quickest female by more than four minutes from Anna Turvey (Drag2zero).
“I was glad the organiser let me ride a vets event,” said Archibald. “I wasn’t really sure what to expect time wise, I was basing it on power and where I got to the 25-mile mark which was 47 something, so from there I knew I would do around a 1-34. I was happy with how it went power wise, I couldn’t have expected much more.
“For being a dual carriageway dragstrip-type course there was a lot of up and down to it and a massive difference in headwind and tailwind.
“There were sections in the back end of the course where I was doing over 70kph for a good long stretch and I was freewheeling but comparatively going up the hill you’re only doing less than 30kph, so it was varied in that sense. Traffic wasn’t an issue and I got round the roundabouts OK so no problems.”
Archibald’s time gave him the win by exactly seven and a half minutes from Alex Royle (Manchester BC) with Bottrill third. And of the women, Meakin and Turvey were first and second, while Joanna Cebrat was third, almost 20 minutes behind the top two.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. John Archibald (Ribble Weldtite Pro Cycling) 1-34-11
2. Alex Royle (Manchester BC) 1-41-41
3. Matt Bottrill (Team Bottrill) 1-42-17
4. Adam Duggleby (Almerico-Vive le Velo) 1-44-13
5. Andy Jackson (AeroCoach) 1-44-33
6. Adam Bidwell (Kingston Wheelers) 1-45-16
1. Emily Meakin (The Independent Pedaler) 1-48-25
2. Anna Turvey (Drag2zero) 1-52-42
3. Joanna Cebrat (Bury Clarion) 2-11-52
4. Sue Cheetham (North Lancashire RC) 2-14-23
5. Emma Bexson (Stratford CC) 2-15-06
6. Michelle Morley (Team Swift) 2-21-21
Men on std:
1. Keith Ainsworth (Sheffrec CC) +35-17
2. Matt Bottrill (Team Bottrill) +34-15
3. Andy Jackson (AeroCoach) +32-26
4. Andy Proffitt (Arctic Aircon RT) +32-14
5. Mark Smith (Crawley Wheelers) +31-40
6. Adam Bidwell (Kingston Wheelers) +31-16
Women on std:
1. Sue Cheetham (North Lancashire RC) +20-17
2. Joanna Cebrat (Bury Clarion) +15-13
3. Emma Bexson (Stratford CC) +13-59
4. Michelle Morley (Team Swift) +11-50
5. Fenella Brown (Beacon Roads CC) +9-48
6. Pamela Moore (Coalville Wheelers) +3-33