David Williams (Velotik Racing Team) was fastest at the Congleton CC 50-mile time trial in Cheshire on Sunday morning, while the promoting club’s Lucy Rogers took home the women’s prize.
Williams clocked 1-49-22 to take the win by just 18 seconds from David Parkin (Chorley CC), while third was Ben Akin (Tri Central UK), another five seconds back in a very closely fought podium.
And in the women’s event Rogers’ time of 2-12-26, giving her the win by almost eight minutes from North Lancashire Road Club rival Jan Scotchford. Third was Michelle Fairclough (Salford CC), 10-20 behind Rogers’ time.
The first couple of hours of the event saw riders get wet, causing problems for some riders using electric gear changers, and pre-race favourite Jack Levick (Rose RT) crashed out in slippery conditions.
North Shropshire Wheelers’ Chester Romei won the junior/juvenile prize with a time of 2-24-45, while Seamons CC were the men’s team prize winners thanks to Alan Chorley, Adrian Hughes and Stephen Dooley, with Congleton CC taking the women’s team prize as Rogers was joined by Alison Stephenson.
Alan Chorley won the veterans on standard category for Seamons CC with +26-26, just five seconds better than David Williams.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. David Williams (Velotik RT) 1-49-22
2. David Parkin (Chorley CC) 1-49-40
3. Benjamin Akin (Tri Central UK) 1-49-45
4. Jozsef Evans (Fibrax Wrexham RC) 1-49-56
5. Alastair Ribbands (Congleton CC) 1-51-25
6. Alan Chorley (Seamons CC) 1-52-43
1. Lucy Rogers (Congleton CC) 2-12-26
2. Jan Scotchford (North Lancashire RC) 2-20-05
3. Michelle Fairclough (Salford CC) 2-22-46
4. Jeanette Barber (Seamons CC) 2-31-22
5. Alison Stephenson (Congleton CC) 2-35-13
6. Gaynor Beckett (Total Tri Training) 2-54-00