Joshua Giddings clinched a dramatic one-second victory in the men’s event, while Rebecca Lineker was fastest female at the Sherwood CC 10-mile time trial near East Bridgford in Nottinghamshire on Saturday morning.
Riding for Team Inspired, Giddings’ time of 18-31 was enough to see off Ashley Cox in 18-32, with the Team Bottrill rider just 11 seconds behind his own PB, while Adam Duggleby (Chapeau! Vive Le Velo) set 19-07 to take the final podium place.
South Normanton CC rider Lineker’s time of 23-22 helped secure victory in the women’s event, ahead of Lindsay Clarke (Fenland Clarion CC) in 24-05, while Elaine Simpson achieved her all-time open event PB of 24-16 in taking third place.
Simpson’s time was also enough to break the all-time club ladies 10-mile TT record previously recorded in August 1985 which was most likely set on a road bike on the O2/10 course.
Riders endured challenging conditions, with winds much stronger than initially predicting as entrants battled gusts of up to 11mph throughout the course.
The efforts of Cox, fifth-placed Tim Hood and neal Parkin helped Team Bottrill secure the team prize in a total time of 59-07, ahead of Chapeau! Vive Le Velo (Duggleby, Darren Yarwood and Neil Cleminshaw) in 1:00/24 and a time of 1:00.45 for Team Ohten Aveas.
This event, run on the A10/3 course, starts on the A6097 just north of Newton then joins the A46 and heads north until Elston then rejoins the A46 southbound until East Bridgford, then finishing near Car Colston.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by James Ayles.
1. Joshua Giddings (Team Inspired) 18.31
2. Ashley Cox (Team Bottrill) 18.32
3, Adam Duggleby (Chapeau! Vive Le Velo) 19.07
4. Richard Oakes (Team Ohten Aveas) 19.12
5. Tim Hood (Team Bottrill) 20.01
6. Ian Guilor (Mapperley CC) 20.10
1. Rebecca Lineker (South Normanton CC) 23.22
2. Lindsay Clarke (Fenland Clarion CC) 24.05
3. Elaine Simpson (Sherwood CC) 24.16
4. Gretchen Zoeller (Ilkeston Cycle Club) 25.12
5. Elizabeth Bridgen (Ilkeston Cycle Club) 25.36