Julia Freeman and Jason Bouttell were fastest male and female riders respectively at the Victoria CC 10.2-mile time trial in Essex on Saturday.
Freeman, the 55-year-old Easterley Road Club rider from Brentwood, clocked 25-53 to win by 20 seconds from Susan Triplow (CC Sudbury), while Sue Rogers (Crest CC) was third fastest woman.
And 33-year-old Londoner Bouttell clocked 20-42, the Team Vision Racing rider taking the victory by just six seconds from George Fox (Team Bottrill) while Jack Brown (Active Edge RT) was another 20 seconds back in third.
The E1/10a course begins and ends just north of Wendens Ambo near Audley End, and heads up the B1383 through Littlebury, Little Chesterford and Great Chesterford. After turning near Stump Cross riders head back south to the finish.
This was only Bouttell’s fifth open time trial of the season so far, but it takes his tally to two victories, two second places and a fifth. His last victory came in the Great Yarmouth CC 10 in April, while he was runner-up in both the Lea Valley CC 10 and Eastern Counties 10 Championship on the same E2/10 course near Six Mile Bottom.
And Freeman’s victory was the first time this season she has taken victory as a solo rider, although she did win the Eastern Counties CA two-up 25 back in April alongside Terry Garlinge. She placed second in the Eastern Counties CA 10 on May 6 and was third in the same ECCA 10 last weekend.
The event included a two-up prize, which went to Colin Ward (Essex Roads CC) and Tim Chilvers (Maldon & Dist CC) with 20-51, just seven seconds better than John Mulvey (Active Edge RT) and Seb Dickson (AeroLab), while George Fox added to his second spot in the solo event with third in the two-up alongside Team Bottrill team-mate Keith Dorling.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Jason Bouttell (Team Vision Racing-Silverhook) 20.42
2. George Fox (Team Bottrill) 20.48
3. Jack Brown (Active Edge RT) 21.08
4. Colin Ward (Essex Roads CC) 21.21
5. Russell Hampton (MG Cycling Team) 21.43
6. Nicholas Candy (North Road CC) 21.59
7. Chris Thomas (East London Velo) 22.13
1. Julia Freeman (Easterley RC) 25.53
2. Susan Triplow (CC Sudbury) 26.13
3. Sue Rogers (Crest CC) 31.00
1. Colin Ward (Essex Roads CC) & Timothy Chilvers (Maldon & Dist CC) 20.51
2. John Mulvey (Active Edge RT) & Seb Dickson (AeroLab) 20.58
3. George Fox & Keith Dorling (Team Bottrill) 21.47