Prolific time trial ace James Boyman (Hoops Velo) broke the course record as he powered to victory in the New Forest CC 10-mile time trial in Hampshire on Saturday afternoon.
The 29-year-old Farnham-based rider sliced 15 seconds from the old mark, clocking 20-19 to win by 19 seconds from Nuun-Sigma Sport rival Robert Moore, while another 14 seconds back in third spot was Bob Richardson (Bournemouth Jubilee Wheelers).
Meanwhile, in the women’s category it was a3crg rider Angela Carpenter who took the win, her time of 23-38 being 2-20 quicker than Emma Needham, the CC Weymouth rider who took second spot.
The event attracted a total of 87 riders, and used the P311 course. Starting just south of Ringwood, it takes competitors south on the B3347 to Sopley, where they turn and head back north and finish just short of the start point.
A talented roadman as well as time triallist, Boyman has recorded some strong performances against the clock this season.
He won the Paceline RT last weekend with an impressive time of 18.13, while other open victories include the Sussex CA 10 in August, the Epsom CC 10 and 25 in July, as well as second in Newbury Road Club’s 15-mile time trial in July.
Boyman was planning to ride the John Walker Road Race in Oxfordshire on Sunday, then next weekend returns to time trialling in the Utag RT 10 on Saturday and Tornado RCC 10 on Sunday.
Carpenter’s win was just the latest in a long line of good performances in 2017. She first tasted victory in an open event back in February in the VC St Raphael 18-mile road bike category.
More recently, her last victory came in the Alton CC 10 in June, but since then she has been second at least five times, including in last weekend’s Paceline RT 10, as well as the a3crg 10 in August and the Brighton Excelsior 25 in July.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. James Boyman (Hoops Velo) 20.19
2. Robert Moore (Nuun-Sigma Sport) 20.38
3. Bob Richardson (Bournemouth Jubilee Wh) 21.52
4. Paul Lockyer (New Forest CC) 21.53
5. Nick Jones (Bournemouth Jubilee Wh) 21.57
6. Thomas Day (Poole Wheelers) 22.04
7. Charlie Leech (Southampton Univ CC) 22.05
8. Neil Mackley (Fareham Wheelers) 22.28
=9. Julian Lockwood (Primera Team Jobs) 22.31
=9. Phil Wilks (Sotonia CC) 22.31
1. Angela Carpenter (a3crg) 23.38
2. Emma Needham (CC Weymouth) 25.58
3. Lizzie Campbell (Iris RT) 26.14
Juvenile: Tom Day (Poole Wheelers) 22.04