Carl Donaldson has been in fantastic form of late and he stole the show at the Northumberland and Durham CA 50 on Sunday, slicing more than eight minutes of the course record.
The 36-year-old broke a 10-mile course record in Stamfordham at the Gosforth RC 25 in July and finished ninth in the National 50-mile Championships. He also won the Shaftesbury CC 50.
But here on the very quick dual carriageway course near Cramlington, in perfect conditions, Donaldson was absolutely flying.
The GS Metro rider posted a time of 1:40.08 to win the event for the third year running and beat the previous course record of 1:48.28.
In second place, Kris Whitelaw of Muckle CC also had a good ride, just nine seconds off the previous record with a time of 1:48.37. In third place, Harry Walker completed in 1:49.14 and took the veteran 40 prize.
The women’s course record was also broken with Muckle CC’s Gemma Frost blazing round in 1:59.25.
Veteran rider Venda Louise Pollack was second in a time of 2:00.40 and Gemma Hutchins completed the women’s podium for Blayden CC with a time of 2:13.38.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Carl Donaldson (GS Metro) 1:40.08
2. Kris Whitelaw (Muckle CC) 1:48.37
3. Harry Walker (Team Swift) 1:49.14
4. Ben Lane (GS Metro) 1:49.28
5. Phil Hall (Breeze Bikes) 1:50.29
6. Ross Walton (Blayden CC) 1:51.38
7. Michale Sloanes (Blumilk) 1:53.00
8. Blaine Metcalf (Team Swift) 1:53.14
9. Elliot Gowland (Team Bottrill HSS Hire) 1:53.52
10. David Beattie (Hawick CC) 1:53.57
1. Gemma Frost (Muckle CC) 1:59.25
2. Venda Louise Pollack (Breeze Bikes) 2:00.40
3. Gemma Hutchins (Blayden CC) 2:13.38