Dan Bigham claimed his third national time trial title in as many weeks after victory at the National 50-mile Championships in North Yorkshire on Sunday.
Despite 2016 Champion Ryan Perry not defending his title it was a strong field for the event, with Bigham, Kieron Davies, a strong team of Team Bottrill riders and Adam Duggleby all in action.
However, it was Bigham who kept his inspired form going, adding the 50-mile championship to the Circuit Championship and Team Time trial he has won over the course of June.
The 25-year-old stopped the clock in 1:36.23 to claim victory by just under a minute near Boroughbridge.
“It was my first ever 50-mile event” Bigham said, “I wasn’t sure what to expect.”
Bigham said that he found it hard going over the first 25 miles and he was third at the halfway mark before picking up the pace.
The 25-year old will now be amongst the favourites for the 25-mile Championship later in the year.
“I’ve got a few weeks off, with a stage race as preparation which includes a time trial which I am looking to do well in”, he added.
Kieron Davies clocked 1:37.20 for a second-place finish, a time which was five minutes faster than his performance back in 2016 when he came third.
John Dewey (Team Bottrill) was the leader at the halfway mark and he completed the podium in third, 16 seconds behind Davies.
The new 100-mile record holder and Paralympic gold medal winner Adam Duggleby just missed out on the podium, he was a further seven seconds back in fourth despite having problems with his chain.
Liam Maybank of Twickenham CC was the leading veteran on the day, he finished eighth beating Brett Harwood by 16 seconds.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
* A gallery of images from the event taken by Kimroy Photography is available here
1. Dan Bigham (Brother NRG-Wattshop) 1:36.23
2. Kieron Davies (drag2zero) 1:37.20
3. John Dewey (Team Bottrill) 1:37.36
4. Adam Duggleby (Vive le Velo) 1:37.43
5. Matthew Smith (Team Bottrill) 1:38.26
6. Felix Barker (Cambridge Univ CC) 1:39.23
7. Chris Bartley (AS Test Team) 1:40.07
8. Liam Maybank (Twickenham CC) 1:40.49
9. Carl Donaldson (GS Metro) 1:41.04
10. Brett Harwood (Team Bottrill) 1:41.05