Christopher Gibbard finished as fastest male while Joanne Jago was fastest female at the Welsh 30-Mile Championship in Monmouthshire on Sunday morning.
Bynea Cycling Club’s Gibbard was one of just two riders to break the hour mark, finishing in 59-05 to take victory, while Owen Burgess, of UF Rowe & King, registered 59-58 and Gibbard’s clubmate Philip Tucker took third place in 1-01-00.
In the women’s event Jago (Performance Cycles) clocked 1-11-27 on her way to victory, with Hereford & District Wheelers rider Emma Wyatt second in 1-15-14, and the podium completed with a time of 1-15-28 by High Wycome CC’s Joy Payne.
Gibbard has enjoyed a fine season with seven successes so far from 11 races, and managed to go one better than the Welsh CA (Welsh Championships) event on this course last year, where he finished in 58-24 but could only manage second place.
In other categories Ffion Hill (Towy Riders CC) was the juvenile champion with 1-24-21, while Gibbard was fastest veteran on standard with a plus of 20-25, ten seconds better than Port Talbot Wheelers’ Hugh Davies.
The road bike winner was Karl Norris (360VRT) in 1-07-29.
This event, run on the R30/7 course, starts just north-east of Raglan and proceeds towards Raglan, turning left to join the A40 eastbound and bearing left towards Monmouth, continuing past Monmouth Services and through the tunnel.
There they bear left just before Monmouth and crossing above the tunnels to retrace the route back southwestwards, past Raglan and on towards Abergavenny, then looping back and finishing by Raglan Castle, just west of the start.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by James Ayles.
1. Christopher Gibbard (Bynea Cycling Club) 59.05
2. Owen Burgess (UF Rowe & King) 59.58
3. Philip Tucker (Bynea Cycling Club) 1:01.00
4. Tim Wood (Team Echelon) 1.01.12
5. Andy Davies (UF Rowe & King) 1:01.17
6. Tony Chapman (Frome & District Wh) 1:02.27
1, Joanne Jago (Performance Cycles CC) 1:11.27
2. Emma Wyatt (Hereford & District Wh) 1:15.14
3. Joy Payne (High Wycombe CC) 1:15.28
4. Joanna Knight (Bristol South CC) 1:23.26
5. Emma Davies (Port Talbot Wheelers) 1:23.51
6. Ffion Hill (Towy Riders Cycle Club) 1:24.21