Joy Payne and Christopher Fennell were quickest female and quickest male respectively at a shortened VTTA Kent time trial on Sunday morning.
In a sunny but cool morning with a rising north, north-easterly breeze, Payne, riding for High Wycombe RC, won the women’s event in 01-05-38 ahead of Lucia Borradaile of CC Weymouth in 01-09-50,
In the men’s event, Fennell (The Independent Pedaler – Nopinz) clocked 50-01 to beat Nicholas Fennell, of Thanet RC, who managed 52-23, while 55-38 was enough for VeloRefined Rule 5’s Mark Hill to take third place.
Payne also registered the best veteran on standard time with +12-35, while Hill managed +12-22 and Steve Gooch of Rye & District Wheelers CC recorded +11-40.
Due to a level crossing being closed for maintenance work, the route had to be reduced to 24.69 miles for safety reasons, while the 24 riders endured a block headwind from Brenzett to Cloverlead, but benefitted from it for the return from Cloverleaf to Brenzett.
The original route, on course Q30/3, starts close to the A2070, which it joins then heads southwards to Brenzett RAB before exiting onto A259 and turning at Brookland roundabout and following back to Brenzett, taking he A2070 passing Bridgefield and onto Cloverleaf where the route turns at Brookland back to Brenzett to finish 100 yards south of Johnsons Corner.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by James Ayles.
1. Christopher Fennell The Independent Pedaler – Nopinz 50-01
2. Nicholas Fennell Thanet RC 52-23
3. Mark Hill VeloRefined Rule 5 55-38
4. Matthew Smith ColourTech RT 55-58
5. Steve Gooch Rye & District Wheelers CC 56-50
6. Martin Fenna Ashford Whs 57-00
1. Joy Payne High Wycombe RC 1-05-38
2. Lucia Borradaile CC Weymouth 1-09-50