Chris Fennell (The Independent Pedaler - Nopinz) blitzed the field in the VTTA 10-mile time trial near Herne Bay in Kent, as did Alex Clay of the same team, to win the women’s event.
Fennell clocked in at 18:15 to win his eighth consecutive open event, making it a win at every event that he has participated in this year.
A duo of Thanet RC espoirs followed behind a minute behind the pace, Dan Martin and Oliver Robinson clocked in at 19:19 and 19:27 respectively to fill up the virtual podium.
Quickest veteran on the day was Paul Burrows (Thanet RC) who clocked in at 20:11. This was a new personal best for Burrows who secured his highest placed finish of the year, finishing fourth overall.
The Q10/30 out and back course begins near Hawthorne Corner and runs down the A299, it goes along Thanet Way until the riders reach Monkton roundabout where they retrace to the finish.
In the women’s event it was 25-year-old Alex Clay (The Independent Pedaler - Nopinz) who claimed top spot, clocking 20:41 to finish on the podium for yet another time this season. She finished almost five minutes ahead of the closest competition.
Tracy Wilkinson-Begg (TWB - On Time Racing Team) was second, clocking in at 25:19. Abbey Thompson (Suffolk Youth Race Team) followed on in third to fill the final available space on the podium in a time of 26:11.
54-year-old Wilkinson-Begg was the quickest veteran in the women’s event. Her last podium finish before this was in the Southborough & District Wheelers 10-mile time trial in May.
Meanwhile 12-year-old Thompson was the quickest junior rider of the day, riding back-to-back podium finishes.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Neral Buckley.
1. Chris Fennell (The Independent Pedaler - Nopinz) 18:15
2. Dan Martin (Thanet RC) 19:19
3. Oliver Robinson (Thanet RC) 19:27
4. Nicholas Fennell (Thanet RC) 19:31
5. Andrew Meilak (VeloRefined Rule5) 20:26
6. Paul Burrows (Thanet RC) 20:31
1. Alex Clay (The Independent Pedaler - Nopinz) 20:41
2. Tracy Wilkinson-Begg (TWB - On Time Race Team) 25:19
3. Abbey Thompson (Suffolk Youth Race Team) 26:11
4. Natasha Jarman (Southborough & District. Whs) 26:14
5. Debbie Percival (Kent Velo Girls/Boys) 26:50
6. Eva Zsigoova (…a 3crg) 27:52
Veterans on standard (plus):
1. Andrew Meilak (VeloRefined Rule5) 6:52
2. Mark Vowells (San Fairen Ann CC) 6:46
3. Kevin Tye (VeloRefined Rule5) 6:35
4. Paul Burrows (Thanet RC) 6:12
5. Stephen Wilkinson (TWB - On Time Race Team) 5:47
6. Mark Hill (VeloRefined Rule5) 5:46