If you have a map of this course, please email email@example.com
Ben Millar (Team Tor 2000) claimed top spot in a very close FTP Racing hill climb event, while Kate MacTear (Bristol South CC) was the winner of the women’s event on the new Clarken Coombe course near Bristol.
26-year-old Millar clocked in at 5:05.04 to snatch a win from under the nose of the second placed rider who finished a fraction of a second later in what could not have been a closer finish.
Finishing in 5:05.05 was Tom Nancarrow (Nopinz Motip RT) who had to settle for second place after being so narrowly outpaced. Filling the final spot on the podium was Carl Jolly (73 Degrees Bicycles), he clocked a time of 5:07 to put himself in the top three fastest on the day.
Millar competed in the National Hill Climb Championships last year, though according to his CTT profile he has only competed three times in open events this season, finishing second in both of those events before the win here.
Presumably he has been training hard as he is again competing in the Nationals next week. Millar will be looking to outperform his ride last year which saw him claim a respectable 18th place.
In the women’s event it was MacTear who came out on top, riding a time of 6:08 which was five seconds quicker than the next woman in line.
Hannah Bayes (Saint Piran) claimed the second spot on the podium with 6:13, and three seconds off the pace was Lizi Brooke (Socks4Watts RT) who topped off the podium with a 6:16 climb for third place.
Like Millar, MacTear also competed in the Nationals last year. She just missed out on the top five, finishing sixth overall, one she will hope to beat this year.
In her last three climbs she has finished first, second, second, with the Nationals coming next week a continuation of the top three finishes would give her a nice finish to the season.
The event took place on the 1.4-mile climb of Clarken Coombe near Bristol, which has never been used for an open event before.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission. This report by Neral Buckley.
1. Ben Millar (Team Tor 2000) - 5:05.04
2. Tom Nancarrow - (Nopinz Motip RT) - 5:05.05
3. Carl Jolly (73 Degrees) - 5:07
4. Phil Stonelake (Bristol RC) - 5:08
5. Andrew Kirby (73 Degrees) - 5:11
6. Arion Oates (PDQ Cycle Coaching) - 5:21
1. Kate MacTear (Bristol South CC) - 6:08
2. Hannah Bayes (St Piran) - 6:13
3. Lizi Brooke (Socks4Watts) - 6:16
4. Charlotte Davies (FTP Racing) - 6:36
5. Emily Walton (Bristol South CC) - 7:19
6. Lizzie Donkin (Southampton Uni) - 7:23