Teenagers Alice Feetham and Patrick Casey were fastest female and male respectively at the Manchester and District TTA 10-mile time trial in Cheshire on Sunday morning.
Feetham, 14 and riding for SportCity Velo, clocked 26-06, while 15-year-old Casey (Lifting Gear Products-Cycles in Motion) covered the J4/20 course near Byley in 21-06.
The first open time trial in over a month since the end of the season proper, the MDTTA provided dozens of riders with a welcome late season opportunity to test their legs and keep the winter miles ticking over.
It also included a fancy dress category with Callum Marshall (Matlock CC) being fastest in 27-55, but the best fancy dress prize went to Withington Wheelers’ Matthew Larkins who was dressed top to toe in an inflatable panda suite. The 29-year-old clocked 41-37 – although he did well just to finish!
The roads were wet and riders had to be careful, although it was a dry and overcast morning.
Casey’s time of 21-06 gave him the win by 17 seconds from Alastair Ribbands (Manchester Wheelers) with 21-23, while Ben Norbury (Congleton CC) was just two seconds further back in third overall.
The course begins to the east of Byley and proceeds towards Cranage before heading north on the A50 through Allostock. At Toft they turn onto the B5081 and head back down through Lower Peover and Swan Green finishing the 10 miles just before the M6 flyover on Middlewich Road.
Casey was fastest juvenile in the National Hill-Climb Championship at the end of October on Winnat’s Pass in Derbyshire and was eighth among the juniors too.
He has proved prolific at hill-climbs recently, with fifth overall on Nick O’Pendle in the North Lancashire Road Club event, with national champion Tom Bell taking the win. Casey was quickest junior by a healthy margin there.
Feetham is more of a time trial specialist, and her performance in this event was a new personal best by one second!
Previously she clocked 26-07 in the Manchester and District TTA event on the same course in October when she was the quickest female and beaten only by two boys.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Patrick Casey (Team Lifting Gear-Cycles in Motion) 21.06
2. Alastair Ribbands (Manchester Wheelers) 21.23
3. Ben Norbury (Congleton CC) 21.25
4. Warren Jackson (Congleton CC) 24.25
5. James Brayford (Lyme Racing Club) 24.57
6. Greg Dancer (Stone Wheelers CC) 25.54
7. Michael Kateley (Team Wheelguru) 25.55
8. Alice Feetham (SportCity Velo) 26.06
9. Alex Taylor (Sportstest RT) 26.45
10. Phil Barnes (SheHair Racing Team) 26.54
1. Alice Feetham (SportCity Velo) 26.06
2. Adele Reynolds (Macclesfield Wheelers) 28.00
3. Sharon Clifford (SheHair Racing Team) 30.19
4. Lesley Norbury (Congleton CC) 32.35
Tandems: Brigid Night & Chris Hanson-Jones (Frodsham Wheelers) 24.17
Fastest Fancy Dress: Callum Marshall (Matlock CC) 27.55
Best Fancy Dress: Matthew Larkins (Withington Wheelers) 41.37