Joseph Dobson, Karen Brooks and Diana Bite clocked impressive winning times as heavy rain hit the City Road Club Hull 10-mile time trial in East Yorkshire on Saturday.
The first mile or two saw sections of road flooded as flash floods led to all riders getting drenched during the event on the V714 course near Gilberdyke.
28-year-old Dobson (Manchester BC) clocked 20-40 for the win, the New Mills-based rider winning by 13 seconds from junior Oliver Rees (HMT Hospitals-Giant), while 30-year-old pro triathlete Philip Graves (NOPINZ) was third with 21-02.
And in the women’s event 59-year-old Karen Brooks (Team Sportslab) and 24-year-old Diana Bite (Univ of Manchester CC) were joint winners with 26-45, while Amanda Dean (Hull Thursday RC) was third, another 49 seconds adrift.
The conditions meant that very few personal best times were set, and course record holder Graves was almost two minutes off his mark on this occasion in third. But despite the rain Huddersfield-based Rees, 18, looked impressive on his way to second spot.
The V714 course used mostly the B1230 and starts to the west of Gilberdyke before heading out and over to M62 towards the turn at Howden. Riders return along the same roads and finish to the east of Gilberdyke on the Main Road out to Scalby.
This is open victory number three of the season for Dobson, who has also tasted victory in the Frodsham Wheelers 22 in March and the Birkenhead North End CC 22 in April.
He has also placed second in four other events, and was recently 11th in the Welsh 25 Championships where he clocked 49-20 – impressive for the conditions and time of year.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Joseph Dobson (Manchester BC) 20.40
2. Oliver Rees (HMT Hospitals-Giant) 20.53
3. Philip Graves (NOPINZ) 21.02
4. Joe Simons (Albarosa CC) 21.24
5. Jonathan Croft (Team Sportslab) 22.23
6. Graham Heaton (City RC Hull) 22.41
7. Mark Walker (Wold Top-The Edge) 22.48
8. Steve Hancock (Calder Clarion) 23.03
9. Melvyn Blackford (Vive le Velo) 23.06
10. James Murphy (Vive le Velo) 23.07
=1. Karen Brooks (Team Sportslab) 26.45
=1. Diana Bite (Univ of Manchester CC) 26.45
3. Amanda Dean (Hull Thursday RC) 27.34