Paul Hart (Southend Wheelers) continued to build his form with victory in the Colchester Rovers sporting 50-mile time trial in Essex, while Melissa Dowell (Braintree Velo) comfortably won the women’s event.
Despite having some scary moments when a strong crosswind hit his front disc wheel Hart clocked a winning time of one hour 48 minutes and 48 seconds.
The E7/50C starts north of Little Bentley before using country roads to reach Little Clacton and travelling north to loop back around, with riders completing two laps and then a finishing uphill drag.
Hart, aged 40 and from Essex, also won the Essex Roads CC 24 over a sporting course recently.
He led the way ahead of Timothy Chilvers (Maldon & District CC) in second with 1:51.36 and Colin Lewin (Velo Schils Interbike RT) well back in third with 2:04.16.
“It was really quite gusty and a bit sketchy in places,” said Hart. “The wind had died down from yesterday but was still in the mid 20s, so it was very gusty and hard work.
“It was also a really poor road surface typical of a sporting course. The cross winds when I went from the hedges to the fields hit my deep section front wheel which wasn’t the best.
“I was happy with my time and I was happy to average 28 miles per hour on those roads. I’m building towards the National 10 in three week’s time so I’ve got tired legs at the moment.”
Meanwhile Dowell dominated the women’s event clocking a winning time of 2:13.28 which was good enough for eighth place overall.
She was chased home by Gill Carter (Essex Roads CC) finishing second in 2:20.24.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Paul Hart (Southend Wheelers) 1:48.48
2. Timothy Chilvers (Maldon & District CC) 1:51.36
3. Colin Lewin (Velo Schils Interbike RT) 2:04.16
4. Giles Askham (Colchester Rovers CC) 2:06.42
5. Dan Foster (3T-Racing) 2:08.44
6. Neal Marrin (Finsbury Park CC) 2:10.31
7. Peter Tibbitts (Ford CC) 2:11.04
8. Melissa Dowell (Braintree Velo CRC) 2:13.28
9. Paul Dewberry (Colchester Rovers CC) 2:15.24
10. Christopher Hamblion (Colchester Rovers CC) 2:16.05
1. Melissa Dowell (Braintree Velo CRC) 2:13.28
2. Gill Carter (Essex Roads CC) 2:20.24