Daniel Northover (Finsbury Park CC) and Becky Taylor of Wisbech Wheelers were the fastest male and female riders respectively as the Eastern Counties CA staged a 10-mile time trial in Cambridgeshire on Saturday.
Northover, 42 and from Otford near Sevenoaks in Kent, was the only rider to go under the 19-minute mark with his time of 18-52. That gave him the overall win by 11 seconds from Matt Senter (Peterborough CC) whose colleague Paul Pardoe was just five seconds further off the pace in third.
Meanwhile, in the women’s category victory went to Wisbech Wheelers’ Becky Taylor, the 43-year-old from Cambridge clocking 21-50 to win by just nine seconds from Jackie Field, the CC Ashwell veteran who finished third in the national senior TT rankings last season, while third fastest female was Jennifer Millmore (Islington CC) with 22-28.
After his winning ride, Northover said: “ECCA events are always competitive so I’m delighted to get the win. My coach Matt Bottrill has been working me hard over the winter so it’s as much for him as it is for me.
“The headwind on the way back and especially in the last two (very exposed) miles was like riding through treacle! Excellent signage and marshalling as ever with ECCA events.”
He now plans to head out to a training camp in Fuerteventura before tackling the Catford CC 10 in three weeks.
Taylor’s winning time of 21-50 was 51 seconds quicker than the last time she tackled the E2/10 in an open event back in August in the ECCA ladies open 10, and was also a personal best according to her CTT data.
She now plans to move on to a slightly longer distance on April 6 with a ride in the Lea Valley CC 25 on the nearby E2/25.
In other categories, Cambridge CC scooped the team prize thanks to David Mcgaw, Ben Redland and Martin Reynolds.
The E2/10 is a popular course which takes riders from the start point near Six Mile Bottom down the A11 to Babraham and back.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Daniel Northover (Finsbury Park CC) 18.52
2. Matthew Senter (Peterborough CC) 19.03
3. Paul Pardoe (Peterborough CC) 19.08
4. David Harding (Chelmer CC) 19.29
5. David McGaw (Cambridge CC) 19.33
6. B. Redman (Cambridge CC) 19.50
7. Grant Woodthorpe (Twickenham CC) 19.51
8. Martin Reynolds (Cambridge CC) 19.55
9. Julian Elliott (Finsbury Park CC) 19.58
10. Nick Morgan (Hitchin Nomads CC) 19.59
Veterans: Daniel Northover
1. Becky Taylor (Wisbech Wheelers) 21.50
2. Jackie Field (CC Ashwell) 21.59
3. Jennifer Millmore (Islington CC) 22.28
Team: Cambridge CC (David Mcgaw, Ben Redland, Martin Reynolds) 59.18