John Lucock of Born to Bike – Bridgtown Cycles was the quickest man in the Port Sunlight 10 event at the Farndon course on Saturday, with Hetty Niblett taking the women’s prize.
One of the few 10-mile courses in the area, the D10/25 offers riders the chance of fairly quick times, staying flat for the most part apart from a gradual climb up to the turn.
The sun was out and 63 riders took part, down 20 from the numbers of last year but still a good turnout.
It was last off Lucock that took the win, clocking a time of 20.54 to pip Port Sunlight veteran Andy Wilkinson by 10 seconds.
Lucock is often in the top ten, finishing fifth last time out at the Hemel Hempstead CC 10 on June 16th but he stepped up a gear here to take a fine win.
Mid Shropshire Wheelers espoir Hetty Niblett was the fastest woman on the day in a time of 23.25. Jill Wilkinson, wife of Andy, was second in 24.25 for Chester RC and Kate Giddings completed the podium, the Liverpool Century RC rider recording a time of 24.27.
Wilkinson, who took top vet on standard spot with a +6.00, was 1.04 ahead of team mate and fellow veteran Kevin Larmer who completed in 22.08.
Larmer only just nicked the last spot on the podium, Toby Williams of Liverpool Century RC just missed out by two seconds and had to settle for fourth.
Larmer was second veteran on standard with a +4.33 and another Port Sunlight rider, Stuart Mccormick, was third veteran on standard in +4.04.
Wilkinson, Larmer and Mccormick combined to collect the team prize for the home club with a total time of 1:05.53.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
* A full gallery of images by Kimroy Photography is available here
1. John Lucock (Born to Bike - Bridgtown Cycles) 20.54
2. Andy Wilkinson (Port Sunlight Wheelers) 21.04
3. Kevin Larmer (Port Sunlight Wheelers) 22.08
4. Toby Williams (Liverpool Phoenix CC Aintree) 22.10
5. Chris Reynolds (Liverpool Century RC) 22.40
Team: Port Sunlight 1:05.53
1. Hetty Niblett (Mid Shropshire Wheelers) 23.25
2. Jill Wilkinson (Chester RC) 24.25
3. Kate Giddings (Liverpool Century RC) 24.47
Vets on standard:
1. Andy Wilkinson (Port Sunlight Wheelers) +6.00
2. Kevin Larmer (Port Sunlight Wheelers) +4.33
3. Stuat Mccormick (Port Sunlight Wheelers) +4.04
4. Sally Cunliffe (VC Melyd) +3.41
5. Russell Ellis (Wrexham RC) +3.14