Colin Ward broke his own course record at the 50-mile Southend Wheelers event on Sunday, setting a blistering time of 1:44.12 to take the win.
Last year, Richard Price of London Phoenix the Essex Roads CC rider broke the record of 1:45.59, only for Ward to break it again later in the day. But Ward went even faster today and beat Price by 1.03 to win the event.
Ward has been in top form of late, finishing third in the Chelmer CC 25 after wins in the Essex Roads CC and ECCA 10.
Price was comfortable in second place, more than 10 minutes ahead of third-placed rider Christopher Smith of Southend Wheelers – one of three riders at the club with the same name! Smith clocked a time of 1:55.39 and was himself comfortable by over three minutes.
There were two riders entered and it was Helena Hayes of London Women’s Racing CC who was quickest in a time of 2:19.09.
Second-placed was Katie-Ann Elliston of Southend Wheelers, who is just 15 and clocked a time of 2:32.15.
Another ride worth mentioning was that of Harry Wood of Maldon and District CC. At the age of 17, he finished 11th in 2:00.28.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Colin Ward (Essex Roads CC) 1:44.12
2. Richard Price (London Phoenix CC) 1:45.15
3. Christopher Smith (Southend Wheelers) 1:55.39
4. John Bradbury (CC Sudbury) 1:56.19
5. Gregory Smith (Finsbury Park CC) 1:58.22
6. Philip Mole (Finsbury Park CC) 1:58.47
7. Rob Chaplin (East London Velo) 1:59.26
8. Steven Bass (Maldon & District CC) 1:59.27
=9. Lee Kennedy (Army CU) 1:59.40
=9. Sam Whiteman (Chelmer CC) 1:59.40
1. Helena Hayes (London Women’s Racing CC) 2:19.09
2. Katie-Ann Elliston (Southend Wheelers) 2:32.15