Philip Jones and Charlotte Boothman were fastest male and female riders respectively as the Beacon Wheelers staged a tough sporting 18-mile time trial to the south of Penrith in Cumbria on Saturday.
Jones led a one-two for the Crimson Performance Race Team, his time of 35-12 being 36 seconds quicker than team-mate Ben Harrison, while the promoting club’s young rider Tom Roper (Beacon Wheelers) was third, another 33 seconds off the pace set by Jones.
And the women’s race was a closely-fought affair, with Charlotte Boothman (ABC Centreville) covering the L155 course in 40-53 to finish 13th overall and beat the next best female rider by just one second, Amy Gornall (Secret Training CC) having clocked 40-54. Third spot went to Katie Lukas, another Beacon Wheelers rider who was 1-10 slower than Boothman.
The L155 course uses what is known as the Lowther loop. Starting near Newtown to the south of Penrith, riders head anti-clockwise through Askham and down through helton and Bampton before reaching Shap and heading back north on the A6, tracking the M6 motorway before peeling off at Lowther and finishing just short of Newtown.
The last rider to start, Jones has ridden two open events already this season. He placed second in the Border City Wheelers 20-mile time trial on march 25, and the week before he was fourth in the West Pennine RC hilly 14-mile event.
Just as with the Beacon Wheelers, all those events are a part of the Lakes and Lancs Sporting Courses (SPoCo) Series.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Philip Jones (Crimson Performance RT) 35.12
2. Ben Harrison (Crimson Performance RT) 35.48
3. Tom Roper (Beacon Wheelers) 36.21
4. Zak Walker (Honister 92) 36.50
5. Paul Fleming (Preston Wheelers) 37.53
6. Neil Withington (Beacon Wheelers) 38.08
7. Patrick Pennefather (Border City Wheelers) 38.14
8. Bryan Pool (Border City Wheelers) 38.52
9. Matthew Atkinson (Beacon Wheelers) 38.57
10. Dan Kendall (Rock to Roll CC) 39.14
1. Charlotte Boothman (ABC Centreville) 40.53
2. Amy Gornall (Secret Training CC) 40.54
3. Katie Lukas (Beacon Wheelers) 42.04
Veterans: Paul Fleming
Juveniles: Archie Irving (Beacon Wheelers) 43.12