Emma Koppe and Leon Wright were fastest female and male riders respectively, as Bedfordshire Road CC staged a charity 25-mile time trial near Tempsford in Bedfordshire on Sunday.
More than £500 was raised for the local Sue Ryder Hospice facility, at Moggerhanger, near Sandy, Bedfordshire, thanks to the generosity of donations.
Early morning fog and slightly chilly conditions meant it wasn’t a fast day on the F1b/25 course near Tempsford, but it cleared up eventually giving way to good visibility and dry roads.
Wright proved fastest, the Race Hub rider covering the course in 52.35 to take the win by 44 seconds from Joe Gorman (Stevenage CC), with Matthew Reader (Verulam CC) third, 2-19 off Wright’s pace.
Koppe clocked 1:03.22 to win the women’s category by 1-15 from Team Milton Keynes’ Linda Dewhurst, while third spot went to Helen Talbot (Welland Valley CC) who was another three minutes back.
35-year-old Leicester-based Wright has been in good form so far in the 2017 season, and also won the Matlock CC 25 back in June. He was also second in the Leicester Forest CC 25, as well as third in the Sheffrec CC hill-climb in July and the Halifax Imperial Wheelers’ 21-mile test in May.
And for Koppe, the 40-year-old from Baldock in Hertfordshire, the win was her first open time trial win of the season, but comes after several other good performances.
She was second fastest woman in the Northampton and District CA 15 in June, as well as being second in the NDCA 10 in April.
And she placed third in the women’s category at the NDCA 20.8 in June, as well as both the Cambridge CC 10 and the NDCA 18.7-mile time trial in April.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Leon Wright (Race Hub) 52.35
2. Joe Gorman (Stevenage CC) 53.19
3. Matthew Reader (Verulam CC) 54.54
4. Chris Manko (Team Milton Keynes) 54.55
5. Karl Willis (Herts Rouleurs RC) 55.01
6. Rob Fletcher (TMG Horizon CT) 55.25
7. Max Hale (Team Milton Keynes) 55.27
8. Thomas Robb (Bedfordshire Roads RT) 55.29
9. Jon Surtees (SSLL Racing Team) 57.11
10. Toby Collis (CC London) 57.17
1. Emma Koppe (CC Ashwell) 1:03.22
2. Linda Dewhurst (Team Milton Keynes) 1:04.37
3. Helen Talbot (Welland Valley CC) 1:07.52
Team: Bedfordshire Roads CC (Thomas Robb, Grant Orsborn, Cody Nelson, John Mitcalf) 3:53.33