Ryan Witchell and Sarah Short were the respective male and female solo category winners as Stevenage CC hosted their 25-mile event in Cambridgeshire on Saturday afternoon.
Due to roadworks on stretches of the F14/25 course, the decision was taken to reduce the event to one lap instead of two, with the riders racing over 11.5 miles rather than the original 25.
It was Ryan Witchell (TeamSalesEngine.co.uk) who came out on top, claiming a 12 second victory in the men’s competition.
The 22-year-old was amongst the earlier starters but he stopped the clock at 24.50, a time that would not be beaten.
Second place went to John Mulvey (Cambridge University CC), with Jason Stuart (CC Ashwell) completing the top three, Mulvey holding a margin of 1.25 over Stuart with the latter the fastest veteran.
In the women’s race, Sarah Short (Bonito Squadra Corse) powered to a commanding victory with a winning margin in excess of three and a half minutes.
The evergreen veteran Short, from Sharnbrook in Bedfordshire, was in a class of her own with a time of 29.50.
Short has a number of other top three finishes in 2017, including victory over another unconventional distance at the Northampton and District 20.8, followed by a second at the same club’s 25-mile event in June and July respectively.
Despite being well behind Short, the battle for the top three was tight, with second and third place separated by a single second.
It was Anna Bradley that came out on top in 33.36, the Team Trident rider fractionally quicker than Ruth Stapleton (St N
There was two-up action on Saturday afternoon as well, with the Hitchin Nomads pair of John Watson and Nick Morgan taking the prize.
Watson and Morgan stopped the clock in 25.58, earning top step on the podium with a 15 second winning margin.
Joe Gorman and Mark Vooght earned second place for hosting club Stevenage CC, with the Team Milton Keynes duo of Barry Connolly and Chris Manko taking third, seven seconds further back.
Meanwhile, in the mixed 2-up race, Lizzy Brama and Mathilde Pauls claimed victory in an impressive 27.59.
Brama (Crystal Palace Triathletes) and Pauls (Sigma Sport) were the only riders under the half hour mark on the reduced course, holding a lead just under three minutes from 45 RC couple Ruth Freestone-King and Graeme King.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Ryan Witchell (TeamSalesEngine.co.uk) 24.50
2. John Mulvey (Cambridge University CC) 25.02
3. Jason Stuart (CC Ashwell) 26.27
1. Sarah Short (Bonito Squadra Corse) 29.50
2. Anna Bradley (Team Trident) 33.36
3. Ruth Stapleton (St Neots CC) 33.37
1. John Watson & Nick Morgan (Hitchin Nomads) 25.58
2. Joe Gorman & Mark Vooght (Stevenage CC) 26.13
3. Barry Connolly & Chris Manko (Team Milton Keynes) 26.20
1. Lizzy Brama (Crystal Palace Tri) & Mathilde Pauls (SigmaSport.co.uk) 27.59
2. Ruth Freestone-King & Graeme King (45 RC) 30.40
3. Jackie Perry & Tony Shortland (Team Trident) 33.25