If you have a map of this course, please email email@example.com
Adam Duggleby (Vive le Velo) came within less than a mile of breaking the 12-hour national Competition record as he powered to victory at CC Breckland’s time trial in Norfolk on Sunday.
Duggleby, the 32-year-old from Leeds who took the 100-mile competition record earlier this season, was left to rue two punctures as he clocked up a provisional 317.224 miles, missing out on Andy Wilkinson’s five-year-old record by just 0.746 miles.
Wilkinson’s record time was set on the same B12/2 course on the A11 between Wymondham, Attleborough and Thetford, although the finishing circuit is now significantly different and uses a stretch from Hingham to Watton.
But the course includes a section of deteriorating concrete, which is where Duggleby suffered two punctures and lost time, as did several other riders.
Wilkinson was present to see his record targeted, as he was helping wife Jill Wilkinson (Chester Road Club) cover 272.763 miles and take the women’s prize as well as finish eighth overall.
Conditions were reasonable, with generally dry and sunny conditions with a south westerly wind.
Duggleby took the win on the day by more than five miles, with Torq Performance rider Mark Turnbull clocking up a provisional 311.905, while third went to Stephen Williamson (a3crg) with 300.514.
Jill Wilkinson’s distance gave her the win in the women’s category by more than 12 miles from Pip Jenkins (Southborough and District Wheelers).
* Reporting and photographs by Fergus Muir.
1. Adam Duggleby (Viva Le Velo) 317.224
2. Mark Turnbull (Torq Performance) 311.905
3. Stephen Williamson (A3crg) 300.514
4. Dave Green (VeloVelocity) 291.103
5. David Shepherd (GS Stella) 287.013
6. Matt Irvings (Buxton CC) 283.419
7. Kevin Baumber (Shaftesbury CC) 275.185
8. Jill Wilkinson (Chester RC) 272.763
9. Chris Lea (Buxton CC) 269.143
10. Julian Pegg (Hitchin Nomads) 266.526
11. Kieran Fitzpatrick (Southborogh & District) 263.422
12. Dale Sturman (West Suffolk Whs) 260.615
13. Pip Jenkins (Southborough & District) 260.267
14. Kate McPherson (Hitchin Nomads) 258.325
15. Tony Reeves (GS Stella) 254.863
16. Alex Bailey (CC Breckland) 239.308
17. James Walsgrove (RideHarder) 235.00
18. Simon Hardy (King’s Lynn CC) 234.92
19. Cliff Matthews (Wolsey RC) 232.483
20. Karen Eaton (Wolsey RC) 231.360
21. Malcolm Borg (West Suffolk Wheelers) 225.367
22. Peter Horsfield (Redmon CC) 213.626
23. Peter Holland (Lincoln Whs)187.107
24. Michael Fountain (Didcot Phoenix) 179.862