Kris Atkin topped the standings to claim victory on a windy day at the Houghton CC 25 in Northumberland.
The rising westerly wind made the outward leg of the M254 course harder than normal for the 48 competitors on the day.
Atkin (Team Bottrill-HSS Hire) was amongst the later starters and he went to the top of the pile after posting a time of 56.05.
Atkin, 30 from Cramlington, said: “This was my first open win of the year so far, although I’ve had a few good results in club events.
“It was a pretty hard wind going out so it took a bit of effort, but coming back from the turn was a bit more fun.
“I didn’t really have a time in mind when I set off. I’ve had a few problems with my training over the last few weeks, but my coach Matt Bottrill gave me a few pointers and got me back on track, so it was good to get the win.
“My next target is to go down to the V718 in East Yorkshire and I’ll be looking at doing an 18-minute 10-mile time,” he added.
Atkin had a margin of victory of 11 seconds from Blaydon CC rider Steven Craggs who came second, whilst Craggs’ teammate Ross Walton completed the podium.
The duo were joined by sixth place Justin Ramel to take the team prize for Blaydon CC, Ramel completing a good day for the team as he was the fastest veteran in the field.
17-year-old Adam Jarps put in a strong performance as the fastest junior, the Manilla Cycling rider led with 12 competitors to go but had to settle for fourth in the end, missing out on the podium by 21 seconds.
Other veteran category winners were Colin Humphrey in the over 50s, Tom Guy in the over 60s and Ronnie Thompson in the over 70s.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Kris Atkin (Team Bottrill-HSS Hire) 56.05
2. Steven Craggs (Blaydon CC) 56.16
3. Ross Walton (Blaydon CC) 56.59
4. Adam Jarps (Manilla Cycling) 57.20
5. Terry Wilkinson (Tyne & Wear F&R CC) 57.46
6. Justin Ramel (Blaydon CC) 57.55
7. Ross Gray (Prima Team Racing) 57.59
8. Chris Mather (Derwentside CC) 58.21
9. Darren Williamson (Muckle Cycle Club) 58.28
10. Michael Todd (Derwentside CC) 58.48
Junior: Adam Jarps
Vet: Justin Ramel
Team: Blaydon CC (Craggs, Walton, Ramel) 2:51.10
Vet 50+: Colin Humphery (Muckle CC)
Vet 60+: Tom Guy (Sunderland Clarion)
Vet 70+: Ronnie Thompson (Derwentside CC)