Mark Smith (Crawley Wheelers) and Ruth Summerford (Eastbourne Rovers CC) were the fastest solo male and female riders as the Brighton Mitre CC staged a 10-mile time trial near Steyning, West Sussex, on Sunday.
Smith, 43 and from Lindfield near Haywards Heath, won both the solo event and the hilly 10 to cap a strong performance.
He was four seconds ahead of Pete Tadros (In Gear-Quickvit RT) in the main event, while course record holder Nick Dwyer (Lewes Wanderers) had to settle for third, 13 seconds behind Smith’s pace.
Smith also rode the hilly 10, and took the win by just one second from 2016 victor Mark Emsley (Team ASL), while course record holder Tadros took third in the hilly.
Eastbourne Rovers rider Ruth Summerford was victorious in the women’s event with a time of 23.18, giving her the win by 22 seconds from Angela Carpenter (a3crg), while Sarah Phelps (Crawley Wheelers) was third, and was also the fastest female in the hilly TT.
Smith was one of 21 riders who chose to ride two events, while three riders rode three events – including 15-year-old Theo Tadros (In Gear-Quickvit RT).
Smith was also victorious in the Lewes Wanderers CC 30 last weekend, as well as in the Sussex CA 25 on April 30 and the Crawley Wheelers sporting 41.6-mile test on April 14.
For Summerford, the win was the latest in a string of victories in what is shaping up to be a successful 2017.
So far this month she has been fastest female at the Lewes Wanderers 30, the Southern Counties CU 10 and the Worthing Excelsior 25, while other wins this season include the Sussex CA 25 and 10 in April as well as the East Sussex CA 15.1-mile TT in March.
Conditions were dry and reasonably still for the event, which took place on a wide single carriageway road.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Mark Smith (Crawley Wheelers) 20.46
2. Peter Tadros (In Gear-Quickvit RT) 20.50
3. Nick Dwyer (Lewes Wanderers CC) 20.59
4. Tom Pritchard (Hampshire RC) 21.11
5. Howard Shaw (Eastbourne Rovers) 21.42
6. Iain Brogden (Eastbourne Rovers) 21.51
7. Conal Clancy (Brighton Excelsior) 21.56
8. Christian Yates (East Grinstead CC) 22.17
9. Neil Crowther (Worthing Excelsior CC) 22.26
10. John Marinko (Brighton Mitre CC) 22.34
Team: Crawley Wheelers (Mark Smith, Stuart Nisbett 23-00, Alan Yule 23-22) 1:07.08
1. Mark Smith (Crawley Wheelers) 24.11
2. Mark Emsley (Team ASL) 24.12
3. Peter Tadros (In Gear-Quickvit) 24.23
Women: Sarah Phelps (Crawley Wheelers) 29.58 (women’s course record)
1. Peter Tadros (In Gear-Quickvit RT) 23.23
2. Richard Hutt (Harp RC) 24.10
3. Theo Tadros (In Gear-Quickvit RT) 25.51
1. Ruth Summerford (Eastbourne Rovers CC) 23.18
2. Angela Carpenter (a3crg) 23.40
3. Sarah Phelps (Crawley Wheelers) 25.05
Road Bikes: Steve Dennis (East Grinstead CC) 22.36