Stuart Travis was the winner at the 25-mile Lea Valley CC event in Ugley, Essex on Sunday and he missed out on the amateur record by just seven seconds.
The Team Bottrill rider made it home in 51.49 on a day that stayed dry despite the forecast threatening a downpour.
Travis was a comfortable winner with second-placed Rob Walker of Cambridge University CC 2.10 behind in 53.59.
Junior rider Adam Robertson, riding for Verulam CC was taking part in his first ever time trial and he showed that he might be one to watch in the future, stopping the clock at 55 minutes dead to land third place on the podium.
Fourth-placed Geir Robinson was the fastest veteran on the day, the Regents Park Rouleurs rider setting a time of 55.07.
Mary Bower of Momentum Cycles was the fastest woman, getting the better of Susan Triplow (Essex Roads Club) and Kauren Kirchel (Chelmer CC) with a time of 1:02.54.
Lauren Hyam (Welwyn Wheelers) took the junior girl prize in 01:09.58 and the two-up contest was won by John Mulvey (Cambridge University CC) and Sebastian Dickson (Thanet RC) in 52.52.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Stuart Travis (Team Bottrill) 51.49
2. Rob Walker (Cambridge University CC) 53.59
3. Adam Robertson (Verulam CC) 55.00
4. Geir Robinson (Regents Park Rouleurs) 55.07
5. Julian Elliott (Finsbury Park CC) 55.08
6. Ross Clarke (TMG Horizon CC) 55.38
7. Mathew Eley (Ely & District CC) 55.47
8. Oliver Bent (Oxford University CC) 57.05
9. Bryn Davies (Oxford University CC) 57.51
10. Matt Steel (Shaftesbury CC) 57.57
1. Mary Bower (Momentum Cycles) 1:02.54
2. Susan Triplow (Essex Roads Club) 1:03.21
3. Lauren Kirchel (Chelmer CC) 1:04.55
Junior girl: Lauren Hyam (Welwyn Wheelers) 01:09.58
Two-up: John Mulvey (Cambridge University CC) and Sebastian Dickson (Thanet RC) 52.52